Hope everybody had a Merry Christmas.. Listen...Just because Christmas is over doesn't mean that you have to be out of dessert mode.
This spiced-up version of an American classic features an apple-custard filling and a walnut- and cinnamon-rich streusel topping.
- 1 recipe Basic Pie Pastry
- 1/4 cup(s) (packed) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup(s) walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch(s) salt
- 3/4 cup(s) sour cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup(s) dried cranberries
- 4 small (1 1/2 pounds) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and each cut into 12 slices
- Prepare our Basic Pie Pastry.
- Adjust oven rack to lower third of oven. Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cinnamon Streusel: In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon. Using hands, mix until large crumbs form. Stir in walnuts.
- Filling: In a bowl, whisk sugar, flour, and salt. Add sour cream, egg yolks, vanilla, and lemon zest; whisk until smooth. Sprinkle bottom of unbaked pie shell with dried cranberries. Arrange apple slices in a concentric circle over cranberries. Pour sour cream mixture over apples. Sprinkle streusel on top. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake 45 to 50 minutes longer, or until apples are tender and custard is set. Cool completely on a wire rack.