I got this recipe from Women's Day-Don't judge me-Instead of simply topping oatmeal with fruit, this recipe cooks apple slices within it, allowing them to break down and infuse the grains with bright flavor and texture. Pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon sweeten the deal.
This sounds good...I can taste it in my head..
- 2 tablespoon(s) pecans
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup(s) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 red apple, such as McIntosh or Braeburn, cut into 3/4-in. pieces
- 2 teaspoon(s) brown sugar
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400°F. Place the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes; chop.
- Bring 2 1⁄2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add a pinch of salt and stir in the oats. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the oats begin to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the apple and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apple is just tender and the oatmeal has thickened, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Sprinkle with the pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon before serving.