For the crust
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp. ice water (or more, if needed
For the filling
- Cooking spray, for pie dish
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
- 1 c. corn syrup
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 c. Pecan halves
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Make the crust: Place flour and butter into freezer for 30 minutes before starting crust process.
- In a large food processor, pulse flour, sugar, and salt until combined. Add butter and pulse until pea-sized and some slightly larger pieces form. With the machine running, add vinegar, then ice water into feed tube, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough starts to come together and is moist but not wet and sticky (test by squeezing some with your fingers). Mixture will be crumbly.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, form into a ball, and flatten into a disk (making sure there are no/minimal cracks).
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until dough is very cold, at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Make the filling: Preheat oven to 425º and lightly grease a 9"-x-1.5" pie dish with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 12” circle. Drape over pie dish and gently press to fit, making sure there are no air bubbles. Trim edge to 1” and tuck overhang under itself. With a fork, lightly prick bottom of crust and decoratively score edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes or freeze 10 minutes.
- Line crust with parchment paper and fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake 10 minutes, then remove parchment and weights. Reduce heat to 350º.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Whisk in brown sugar until smooth and remove from heat. Whisk in corn syrup, vanilla, salt, and beaten eggs.
- Scatter pecan halves into pie crust and pour over sugar mixture. Mix gently with a spoon to coat nuts and evenly disperse.
- Lightly place foil over top of pie and bake 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake until filling is puffed, only slightly wobbly, and crust is golden, 35 minutes more.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
- Serve topped with vanilla ice cream.