- 1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 4 tablespoon(s) cold butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoon(s) vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoon(s) (or more if needed) ice water
- 1/2 cup(s) (packed) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup(s) maple syrup
- 1/4 cup(s) dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon(s) dark Jamaican rum
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup(s) pecans, coarsely chopped
- Prepare Pastry Dough: In large bowl, combine flour and salt. With pastry blender or using two knives scissors-fashion, cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with fork after each addition, until dough is just moist enough to hold together. Shape dough into disk; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight. (If chilled overnight, let stand 15 minutes at room temperature before rolling.)
- On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into 12-inch round. Ease dough into 9-inch glass or ceramic pie plate, gently pressing dough against side and bottom of plate. Trim dough edge, leaving 1-inch overhang. Fold overhang under; pinch to form decorative edge. Refrigerate pie shell until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line pie shell with foil and fill with pie weights, dry beans, or uncooked rice. Bake pie shell 15 to 20 minutes or until set. Remove foil and weights and bake 5 to 6 minutes longer, or until shell is golden. If shell puffs up during baking, gently press it down with back of spoon. Reset oven control to 350 degrees F.
- While pie shell is baking, prepare Maple-Pecan Filling: In large bowl, whisk brown sugar, syrups, butter, rum, vanilla, and eggs until blended. Stir in pecans. Pour filling into hot pie shell. Bake 35 minutes or until filling is puffed and set at edges but still jiggles slightly in center. Cover rim of pie with foil after 20 minutes to prevent over-browning. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Variation: For Chocolate Mixed-Nut Pie, prepare Maple-Pecan Filling as above, but melt 2 ounces chopped unsweetened chocolate with butter. Coarsely chop 3/4 cup pecans, 1/2 cup walnuts, and 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, substituting them for all the pecans.
Each serving of Chocolate Mixed-Nut Pie: About 440 calories, 29 g total fat (10 g saturated), 87 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Enjoy! Eat Well My Friends!