Can you believe that up until yesterday, I had never had the pleasure of having potato pancakes??? My wife and I had brunch at a delightful little spot and I decided to be adventurous for a change.. I had Potato Pancakes which were very good.
The cook at this eatery refused to give me the recipe, but I got it anyway....(I googled it!) While this may not be that recipe..It is a credible recipe that you can use to fix you and your guest a batch of these....
- 2/3 cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1/3 cup complete dry pancake mix
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Stir together the potato flakes, pancake mix, onion, Cheddar cheese, milk, egg, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper in a bowl until well combined.
- Grease a griddle or large skillet, and place over medium heat. Drop pancakes, 1/4 cup at a time, onto the hot griddle, and cook until the edges look dry and 1 bubble appears in the center, about 3 minutes. Flip the pancakes, and cook until browned on the other side, about 3 more minutes
I combine 2 cups potatoes and 1 cup pancake mix in a large bowl. Then I continue this ratio until all of the flakes are gone. Store this starter mix in an airtight container. Then just scoop out the amount needed.