These creamy chicken meatballs in mushroom sauce are soft, juicy, full of flavour and tossed in a luscious sauce made up with lots of mushrooms. This is a delicious 30 minute dish that’s perfect for dinner with some noodles or pasta.
Don't Sweat The Technique (Tips)-
I usually include this part after the recipe, but I thought I'd add these tips first..
- While making meatballs, the best way is to mix all your ingredients except the ground meat first. This way it’s much easier to combine your seasoning, binding agents and flavouring when you finally add the meat.
- Don’t overmix. Seriously, just stop when you feel like you are 90% done. Overworking the meat can lead to denser meatballs.
- To chop the mushrooms finely, just cut them in half and add them to a food processor. This will coarsely chop the mushrooms without you having to do any of that effort. Takes about 2.5 minutes.
- Always sear the meatballs on high heat. This locks in the flavours and the sear helps them retain their shape when you add them back to the sauce.
- Feel free to switch up chicken meatballs for vegetarian ones if you are a vegetarian. But retain the sauce. Because that sauce absolutely rocks!
For the Meatballs:DIRECTIONS:
- ¾ cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 550 grams/ 1.25 pounds ground Chicken
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ cup chopped Onions
- 1 cup finely chopped Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 1 ½ cups low sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon dried Rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Parsley
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- Make the meatballs: In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients except ground chicken and oil. Mix well and add the ground chicken. Mix till just combined. Form the mixture into approximately 18 meatballs. Set aside.
- Sear: Heat two tablespoons Olive Oil in a pan and add as many meatballs as will fit into the pan without overcrowding. You may have to do this in batches. On high heat, brown the meatballs on all sides and remove them on a plate.
- Sauce: Heat two tablespoons olive oil and a tablespoon of butter in the same pan. Add garlic and onions. Cook till the onions soften and become translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for another minute to get rid of the raw flour flavour. Slowly add the chicken broth and keep whisking continuously till the sauce thickens. Stir in the rosemary, parsley, paprika, salt, pepper and meatballs. Add a little more stock or water if the sauce is too thick. Simmer the meatballs for ten minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and switch off the flame. Serve hot with noodles, rice or mashed potatoes
- To chop the mushrooms finely, just cut them in half and add them to a food processor. This will coarsely chop the mushrooms without you having to do any of that effort. Takes about 2.5 minutes