I'm in Dessert mode this week...And here is another sweet treat to prove that...Cranberry-Pear Crisp...Fresh cranberries are available from October through December. Ripe berries are deep red and very firm. Before using them, rinse in a bowl of cold water; discard any unripe ones that float to the top.
- 4 (6 cups) firm pears, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces; or up to 6 pears, if needed
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup(s) cranberries
- 1/3 cup(s) sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar, for topping
- 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 1/2 cup(s) (1 stick) chilled butter
- 1/4 cup(s) light-brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1 cup(s) rolled oats
- 1 pinch(s) salt
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss pears with lemon juice. Add cranberries and 1/3 cup sugar; toss well.
- Transfer to six 8-ounce ramekins (or a 3-quart baking dish). Sprinkle with topping (see below); bake until fruit is tender and topping is golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- To make the Oatmeal Crisp Topping: Pulse flour with butter in a food processor until pea-size clumps form. Add remaining granulated sugar and the light-brown sugar, cinnamon, oats, and salt; pulse until large, moist clumps form, about 10 times.