Check it out-
- 8 graham crackers (one sleeve)
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 15 ounces can sweetened cream of coconut
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon icing (powdered) sugar
- Start by making a graham cracker crust: Crush the graham crackers and pecans in a food processor (or by hand in a baggie with a rolling pin). Stir in melted butter, press into a pie tin, and bake at 350° F for 10 minutes. Then leave the crust to cool.
- To make the coconut custard, start by heating milk and cream of coconut in a saucepan until scalding.
- In a bowl, whisk together yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt until pale yellow.
- Carefully temper the yolk mixture by whisking in 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture. Then, slowly add the remaining milk, whisking continuously until fully combined.
- Pour the custard base back into the saucepan and place over low heat. Whisk continuously until the custard boils and thickens. Then remove from the heat.
- Whisk in the cold butter and vanilla extract. Leave custard to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the cooled custard into the cooled crust and refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Toast coconut flakes in a pan over low heat until the edges are golden. Let cool.
- Whip cream with icing sugar until it is thick and spreadable.
- Top the coconut pie with whipped cream and sprinkle on coconut flakes. Slice and serve!
Enjoy...Eat well My Friends!