I'm into the comfort food, baby!
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely diced
- 2 medium chorizo sausages, skin off and diced roughly
- 600-700 grams grass fed ground beef/mince
- 2-3 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 chipotle chilli peppers (dried or tinned), diced
- 1 teaspoon seasalt
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed powder
- 1½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1½ cup diced tinned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- Garnish: greek or coconut yoghurt, fresh coriander, spring onion
Slow cooker method
- Cook onion in olive or coconut oil over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes. This can be done in a frying pan or directly in a slow cooker dish if it's heat-proof. Then add the diced chorizo, stir and cook for a further 2 minutes, until slightly browned.
- Now add the beef and break it apart while stirring with the onion and chorizo. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add the garlic and spices and stir together for a minute to release the aromas.
- Finally, add the tomatoes and vinegar, bring to simmer and transfer to a slow cooker (unless already in the slow cooker dish, then simply place the vessel back onto the heat element).
- Cook covered for 2-3 hours on HIGH, 4-5 hours on MEDIUM, 6-7 hours on LOW.
Stove top method
- Repeat the same steps as above but cook everything in a large pot or a deep frying pan with a lid. Once all ingredients are added and brought to simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 30-45 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Repeat the same steps as above and once all ingredients are added and brought to simmer, transfer the mix to an oven-proof casserole dish or a Dutch oven, cover with foil and cook in a 200C/395F oven for 30-45 minutes. Stir half way.