Served with slaw or potato salad, this chicken dinner will feel like an indoor picnic. Any leftover chicken will make a great school lunch.
- Vegetable oil, for baking sheet
- 8 slice(s) white bread
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon(s) hot-pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup(s) (2 1/2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
- 4 pound(s) chicken parts (preferably legs, thighs, and wings), rinsed and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously rub a baking sheet with oil. In a food processor, pulse bread until it turns into coarse crumbs.
- In a large bowl, stir together buttermilk, hot-pepper sauce, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a separate bowl, mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan, thyme, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Place the chicken in the buttermilk mixture, turning to coat evenly. Working with one piece at a time, remove chicken from liquid, letting excess drip back into bowl; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat evenly. Place coated chicken pieces on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until chicken is golden brown, about 35 minutes.