This is late I know, but I had to post this recipe...a little something different if you will. Chicken sausage comes in a variety of flavors these days. The flavor you pick will have a big impact, so make sure you pick one you like.
We tried and liked sweet Italian, apple and Chardonnay sausage and sun-dried tomato and spinach sausage in this recipe.
- 4 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup(s) skim milk
- 2 tablespoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup(s) sliced fresh basil
- 4 cup(s) whole-grain bread, crusts removed if desired and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 cup(s) chopped arugula, wilted
- 3/4 cup(s) chopped artichoke hearts, frozen (thawed) or canned
- 1 cup(s) diced cooked chicken sausage ( 5 ounces)
- 3/4 cup(s) shredded fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat an 11-by-7-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- To prepare custard: Whisk egg whites, eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add mustard, salt, pepper and basil: whisk to combine.
- Toss bread, arugula, artichokes and sausage in a large bowl. Add the custard and toss well to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.
- Bake until the custard has set, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.