I am also told that roasting intensifies the flavor of tomato sauce.....This recipe will serve four...How about inviting three of your friends over for dinner tonight, with this and some White Wine on the menu? Huh?
- 128-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes
- 8garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 2anchovy fillets packed in oil
- ¼cup(½ stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½teaspooncrushed red pepper flakes plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12oz. bucatini or spaghetti
- Finely grated Parmesan (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Combine tomatoes (crushing them with your hands), garlic, anchovies, butter, and ½ tsp. red pepper flakes in a 13x9” baking dish; season with salt and black pepper. Roast, tossing halfway through, until garlic is very soft and mixture is jammy, 35–40 minutes. Using a potato masher or fork, mash to break up garlic and tomatoes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Return pasta to pot and add tomato sauce and pasta cooking liquid. Cook over medium-high heat, tossing until sauce coats pasta, about 3 minutes. Serve topped with Parmesan and more red pepper flakes.
- Do Ahead: Tomato sauce can be made 4 days ahead. Let cool; cover and chill. Reheat before mixing with pasta.