- 1 (4-pound) boneless beef chuck roast, tied
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 pound(s) carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoon(s) water
- 1 bottle(s) (12-ounce) dark beer (such as a brown ale)
- 1/3 cup(s) white (distilled) vinegar
- 1/2 cup(s) ketchup
- 1/3 cup(s) golden raisins
- 3 tablespoon(s) brown sugar
- Green beans, for serving (if desired
- Rub one beef chuck roast with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. In 12-inch skillet, heat vegetable oil on medium-high until very hot. Brown roast on all sides. Transfer to 6- to 7-quart slow cooker bowl.
- To skillet, add onions, carrots, water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook on medium-high 2 to 4 minutes or until slightly softened, stirring. Add beer and vinegar. Simmer 4 minutes, stirring. Transfer vegetables and liquids to slow cooker bowl along with ketchup, raisins, and brown sugar.
- Cover; cook 10 hours on Low or until tender.
- Skim and discard fat from cooking liquid. Slice meat; serve with vegetables and green beans, if desired. Drizzle with cooking liquid.