This recipe comes from Attorney Beverly West, my charactor in my stories on my blog Escapades who is affectionately called "Shortcake" by Private Investigator ,Donnie Ray Alexander...
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 C flour
- 5 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ C butter
- ⅔ C heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
Brown Sugar Whipping Cream
- 1 C whipping cream
- ½ C sour cream
- ⅓ C brown sugar
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Slice strawberries and sprinkle with 3 Tbsp sugar. Allow to rest for 15-20 minutes
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, 3 Tbsp of brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut butter into pieces and add into food processor.
- Pulse until it forms a coarse cornmeal like texture.
- Put flour mixture into a bowl and add in cream and egg that have been mixed together.
- Stir together with a spatula until a large clump forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured counter and knead just until the dough comes together - about 30 seconds.
- Pat the dough into a 9 x 6 inch rectangle, 1 inch thick.
- Using a 2¾ inch biscuit cutter cut out shortcakes - 6-8 of them.
- Place on a parchment covered baking sheet and brush with egg white and sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbsp brown sugar.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Brown Sugar Whipped Cream
- Whip together the cream, sour cream, sugar and pinch of salt until whipped and cream forms soft peaks.
- Cut short cakes in half and layer with whipped cream mixture and sliced strawberries.
Eat Well My Friends!