- 6 cup(s) 1/2-inch slices ripe but firm plums, peeled if desired, or equal amount pitted sour cherries, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) orange juice
- 2 cup(s) whole-grain fresh breadcrumbs (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch shallow glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray.
- To prepare filling: Toss plums (or cherries) with 1/3 cup brown sugar and orange juice in a medium bowl. (If using frozen fruit, let stand for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, to thaw the fruit before transferring to the baking dish.)
- To prepare topping: Toss breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl until blended.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the topping in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with half of the fruit. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the topping over the fruit, then top with the remaining fruit. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the remaining topping with walnuts and butter until combined. After 30 minutes, remove the betty from the oven and sprinkle the breadcrumb-walnut mixture on top. Return to the oven and bake until the fruit is bubbly and the crumbs are browned, 30 to 40 minutes more. Let cool for about 20 minutes before serving.
Tip: To make your own fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs.
Like all good desserts..You wash this down with a tall glass of milk.
Enjoy...and Eat well my friends!